Idris Iskandar al-Mutawakkil Alallahi Shah of Perak
|Sultan of Perak|
|Sultan of Perak|
|Reign||5 January 1963 – 31 January 1984|
|Installation||26 October 1963|
|Predecessor||Yussuff Izzuddin Shah of Perak|
|Successor||Azlan Shah of Perak|
|Born||17 August 1924|
Istana Negara, Bukit Chandan, Kuala Kangsar, Perak, Federated Malay States, British Malaya
|Died||31 January 1984 (aged 59)|
Lumut, Perak, Malaysia
|Burial||3 February 1984|
Raja Noor Izah binti Raja Ali
(m. 1943; div. 1957)
Raja Muzwin binti Raja Arif Shah
(m. 1943; died 2011)
Che Puan Aminah
(m. 1961; div. 1974)
Sharifah Salmah binti Syed Ahmad
Che Satira binti Abdullah
(m. 1967; died 2011)
|House||House of Perak|
|Father||Sultan Iskandar Shah Ibni Almarhum Sultan Idris Murshidul Azzam Shah Rahmatullah|
|Mother||Raja Puteh Umi Kalsom Binti Raja Kulop Muhammad Kramat|
Sultan Idris Iskandar Al-Mutawakkil Alallahi Shah Ibni Almarhum Sultan Iskandar Shah Kaddasullah, CMG (17 August 1924 – 31 January 1984) was the 33rd Sultan of Perak from 5 January 1963 until his death on 31 January 1984. He was the son of Sultan Iskandar Shah.
Early life and education
He was born on 17 August 1924 at Istana Negara, Kuala Kangsar, Perak as the second son of Sultan Iskandar and Raja Puteh Umi Kalsom. His father was a son of Sultan Iskandar Shah and a brother of Sultan Abdul Jalil. His oldest brother died when he was only 40 days old. He was named Raja Idris Shah at birth.
He was educated at Clifford School, Kuala Kangsar and furthered his studies at the Malay College Kuala Kangsar. He was made Raja Di Hilir in 1933, succeeding Raja Chulan, who died that year. He was appointed Raja Bendahara in October 1938 upon the demise of his father. Ten years later, on 29 March 1948, the then sultan, Sultan Abdul Aziz, died and Raja Idris was made Raja Muda (Crown Prince) by his cousin, the new sultan, Sultan Yussuf Izzuddin Shah.
Sultan of Perak
Upon the death of his cousin Sultan Yussuff Izzuddin Shah on 5 January 1963, he was appointed as the 33rd Sultan of Perak assuming title – Sultan Idris Iskandar Al-Mutawakkil Alallahi Shah Ibni Almarhum Sultan Iskandar Shah Kaddasullah.
Marriages and children
Sultan Idris married firstly, Raja Noor Izah binti Raja Ali. She was styled Raja Puan Besar until their divorce 14 years later. He then married his cousin Raja Muzwin, the daughter of Raja Arif Shah Raja Harun, on 12 August 1943. Idris and Raja Muzwin are first cousins once removed. Idris's grandfather, Sultan Idris Shah I, is Raja Muzwin's great-grandfather. She became known as Raja Perempuan upon Sultan Idris ascending the Perak throne. Among his children were:
- Raja Nazhatul Shima, who is Raja Puan Besar (Crown Princess) of Perak (born 1952) married to His Highness Raja Muda (Crown Prince) of Perak, Raja Jaafar ibni Almarhum Raja Muda Musa on 12 January 2019 after her first husband, Syed Omar Alsagoff passed away in 2017.
- Raja Dato' Seri Yussuff Izzuddin Iskandar Shah (born 1953), married Tengku Datin Seri Noor Hazah (born 1955).
- Raja Iskandar Zulkarnain (born 1955), who is Raja DiHilir, married Tunku Soraya, daughter of Sultan Abdul Halim of Kedah.
- Raja Halimahton Shahrin (1957-2019), drowned at sea while scuba diving in Pulau Perhentian, Besut, Terengganu.
- Raja Zarith Sofiah (born 1959), married Sultan Ibrahim Ismail of Johor.
- Raja Jamil Ariffin, married Tengku Zalila.
- Raja Radziatul Zahar, died during infancy.
- By Raja Nazhatul Shima (Raja Puan Besar of Perak) and Syed Omar Alsagoff:
- Syed Saif Alsagoff (born 1973)
- Syed Ibrahim Alsagoff (born 1976)
- Syed Redzuan Alsagoff (born 1981)
- Syed Shareef Alsagoff (born 1983)
- Syed Idris Alsagoff (born 1986)
- Syed Iskandar Alsagoff (born 1988)
- By Yang Teramat Mulia Raja Dato' Seri Izzuddin Iskandar (born 1953) and Tengku Datin Seri Noor Hazah (born
7 November 1955 ) daughter of (Tengku Abdul Aziz Shah):
- Raja Teh Umi Kalsom (born 28 October 1978)
- Raja Muzaffar Idris Shah (born 28 December 1979)
- Raja Putra Muhamad Riza (born 13 December 1981)
- By Duli Yang Amat Mulia Raja Iskandar Zulkarnain (Raja Di-Hilir of Perak) and Tunku Soraya (Raja Puan Muda Perak) daughter of Sultan Abdul Halim of Kedah):
- Raja Nabil Imran (born 1987)
- Raja Idris Shah (born 1989)
- Raja Sarina Intan Bahiyah (born 1992)
- Raja Safia Azizah (born 1997)
- Raja Siffudin Muadzam' Shah (born 2000)
- By Duli Yang Maha Mulia Raja Zarith Sofiah and Sultan Ibrahim Ismail of Johor:
- Tunku Mahkota of Johor (Crown Prince of Johor), Tunku Ismail Idris (born 1984)
- Tunku Tun Aminah Maimunah Iskandariah (born 1986)
- Tunku Temenggong of Johor, Tunku Idris (born 1987)
- Tunku Laksamana of Johor, Tunku Abdul Jalil (1990-2015)
- Tunku Panglima of Johor, Tunku Abdul Rahman Hassanal-Jefri (born 1993)
- Tunku Putera of Johor, Tunku Abu Bakar (born 2001)
- By Raja Jamil Ariffin and Tengku Zalila (princess of the House of Jamalullail (Perlis)):
- Raja Rafiuddin Ariff Shah (born 1992)
- Raja Idris Iskandar Shah (born 1995)
- Raja Muhammad Hazim Shah (born 2003)
His great-grandchildren as of 2018[update]:
- By Tunku Ismail Idris and Che' Puan Khaleeda:
- Tunku Khalsom Aminah Sofiah (born on 25 June 2016) (age 4 years, 6 months and 23 days)
- Tunku Iskandar Abdul Jalil Abu Bakar Ibrahim (born on 14 October 2017) (age 3 years, 3 months and 3 days)
- Tunku Abu Bakar Ibrahim (born 17 July 2019) (age 1 year and 6 months)
- By Syed Ibrahim Alsagoff and Suzanna:
- Sharifah Nadyatul Iman Alsagoff (born on 23 August 2005) (age 15 years, 4 months and 25 days)
- Syed Ismail Iman Alsagoff (born on 28 November 2006) (age 14 years, 1 month and 20 days)
Death and succession
Sultan Idris Shah II was the frontrunner to be elected Malaysia's eighth Yang Di-Pertuan Agong. However it was fated that on 31 January 1984, a week before being elected by his all Malay rulers, he suddenly died after suffering a heart attack at the Angkatan Tentera Hospital, Lumut at 11:15 pm.
He was 59 and was the Sultan of Perak for 21 years.
He was interred at the Al-Ghufran Royal Mausoleum at Bukit Chandan and the posthumous title of Marhum Afifullah was conferred. He funeral took place on 3 February 1984 and he was buried at the Al-Ghufran Royal Mausoleum near Ubudiah Mosque, Kuala Kangsar.
He was succeeded by his first nephew once removed, Raja Azlan Shah.
Honours of Perak
- Grand Master of the Royal Family Order of Perak (5 January 1963 – 31 January 1984)
- Grand Master of the Order of the Cura Si Manja Kini (5 January 1963 – 31 January 1984)
- Founding Grand Master of the Order of the Taming Sari (1977 – 31 January 1984)
- Grand Master of the Order of the Crown of Perak (5 January 1963 – 31 January 1984)
Honour of Malaya
- "Sultan Idris Iskandar II". Sultan of Perak. Archived from the original on 2011-07-21. Retrieved 2011-06-04.
- "Perak". World of Royalty. Retrieved 2011-06-04.
- "Fy Nhad y Swltan". Fy Nhad y Swltan (in Welsh). 47 minutes in. BBC. S4C. Retrieved 2016-01-06.
- "Senarai Penuh Penerima Darjah Kebesaran, Bintang dan Pingat Persekutuan Tahun 1963" (PDF).