|Launched||September 1, 1988|
|Picture format||480i (SDTV)|
|Sister channel(s)||The Weather Network|
|Website||MétéoMédia (in French)|
|Bell TV||Channel 130 (SD)|
|Shaw Direct||Channel 740 (SD)|
Channel 240 (HD)
|Available on many Canadian cable systems||Check local listings|
|Bell Aliant Fibe TV||Channel 807 (SD)|
|Bell Fibe TV||Channel 105 (SD)|
Channel 1105 (HD)
|Optik TV||Channel 2050 (SD)|
|Telus Quebec||Channel 17 (SD)|
Channel 517 (HD)
|VMedia||Channel 19 (SD)|
|Zazeen||Channel 201 (SD)|
MétéoMédia is a Canadian French-language weather information specialty channel and web site owned by Pelmorex. MétéoMédia primarily serves viewers in Quebec, although some cable TV systems in Ontario and New Brunswick carry the channel as well. It is available nationwide via satellite. MétéoMédia went on the air along with the bilingual specialty service's English-language component, The Weather Network, for the first time on September 1, 1988; both MétéoMédia and The Weather Network broadcast separate 24-hour-a-day feeds.
MétéoMedia has a separate feed for the Montreal area.
Both MétéoMedia and the Weather Network are owned by Pelmorex. The two originally shared an analogue transponder on one of the Anik satellites, with computer-generated local forecasts airing on one while the video feed of a live forecaster or TV commercials aired on the other. They swapped these two roles every five minutes.
On January 3, 2008, it was reported that Landmark Communications, part-owner of MétéoMédia, may be for sale. In July 2008, the Weather Channel was sold to NBCUniversal and Bain Capital; the sale includes Landmark's stakes in MétéoMedia and the Weather Network. Comcast, the parent of NBCUniversal, subsequently sold this minority interest to Pelmorex in 2015.
MétéoMedia follows a schedule which repeats itself each hour, based on the current season. The spring/summer programming schedule often starts on the first Monday of April. It switches to the winter schedule on the first Monday of December. The following segments are commonly seen on the network:
- Prévisions Locales: In the national feed, this is a three-minute bulletin provides viewers with the current temperatures, wind speed and weather conditions in different cities, as well as weather information for the rest of the day and 2 days ahead. Those who receive localized MétéoMédia feeds get a comprehensive weather report from their area's nearest weather station, including current conditions, precipitation, UV/pollen forecasts as well as expected weather for the next 24 hours, 4, 7 and 14 days. Prévisions Locales broadcasts every 10 minutes.
- Météo Active: A detailed analysis of the current weather across Quebec, including the weather expected statewide over the next five days.
- Nouvelles MétéoMédia: Broadcast at :12 and :42 past the hour, this segment provides a brief summary of the weather and environmental news.
- Prévisions Internationales: Broadcast at :47 (evenings/weekends) and :08 (overnights), this segment provides global weather updates in only 90 seconds.
- Prévisions Écoliers: Broadcast at :16 (mornings), this quickly provides current conditions and forecast for the day.
- Escales: Broadcast at :47 (mornings), it's an analysis of current conditions across North America and the forecast for the day in major cities across Canada, America and Europe. It also provides destination forecasts for the Caribbean and Mexico.
MétéoMédia also provides seasonal segments, include: Prévisions Pollen (spring/summer), Prévisions UV (spring/summer), Conditions du Ski (autumn/winter),...
Notable former personalities
- Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (2011-07-22). "Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2011-438". Retrieved 2012-05-10.
- "Battens may sell The Roanoke Times' parent company". The Roanoke Times. 2008-01-03. Archived from the original on 2012-12-08. Retrieved 2008-01-03.
- NBC press release - included in the list of items to be acquired: "The Weather Channel also holds a minority interest in Pelmorex, a Canadian weather company."
- "The Weather Channel Sells Stake in Pelmorex Media". Broadcaster, December 22, 2015.
- Official website (in French)