East Camberwell railway station
Westbound view from Platform 3 in May 2014 with the Alamein line bridge in the background
|Location||Sefton Place, Camberwell|
|Operated by||Metro Trains|
|Distance||11.08 kilometres from Southern Cross|
|Platforms||3 (1 island, 1 side)|
|Fare zone||Myki zone 1|
|Website||Public Transport Victoria|
|Opened||14 May 1900|
East Camberwell railway station is located on the Lilydale and Belgrave lines in Victoria, Australia, serving the eastern Melbourne suburb of Camberwell. It opened on 14 May 1900, as the interchange station for the Deepdene Dasher service, which ran north along the Outer Circle line, that had opened in 1891.:52
Three platforms were provided, two high-level ones for trains on the Lilydale line, and a single low-level one for trains on the Outer Circle. Steps were provided between all platforms, to enable passengers to change between services. Between 1915 and 1922, a signal box at the Melbourne end was provided, to control the junction towards Riversdale (on today's Alamein line), as the three tracks though to Camberwell had been reduced to two, to allow the regrading works at Camberwell to proceed. The Deepdene Dasher service was withdrawn on 9 October 1927, and the northern section of the Outer Circle line closed on 6 September 1943, when goods services to East Kew station ended.:64 The low level platform was removed after World War II.
The platforms on the Lilydale line were rebuilt in 1964, when work to provide a third track between Camberwell and East Camberwell was carried out. The southern platform at East Camberwell was converted into an island platform. That track amplification work also removed the bridge that had carried the Lilydale line over the Outer Circle line. The third track was extended to Box Hill in 1971.
The Edwardian timber station building on Platforms 1 & 2 was replaced with a brick structure in 1981, partly due to the perceived fire risk. However, it was destroyed by fire on 12 August 1986 and replaced with the current open canopy.
Platforms & services
- Lilydale line: all stations and limited stops services to Flinders Street
- Belgrave line: all stations and limited stops services to Flinders Street
- Lilydale line: weekday all stations services to Lilydale
- Belgrave line: weekday all stations services to Belgrave
- Lilydale line & Belgrave line: weekday all stations services to Blackburn
- Beardsell, David B; Herbert, Bruce (1979). The Outer Circle: A History of the Oakleigh to Fairfield Railway. Australian Railway Historical Society: Victorian Division. ISBN 0 85849 024 2.
- East Camberwell Vicsig
- Adrian Dare (January 1987). "The Ashy Dasher and the Deepdene Dasher". Newsrail. Australian Railway Historical Society. p. 8.
- "Victorian Railways: East Richmond to East Camberwell diagram 20' 66". Signal Diagrams and Photos. Retrieved 11 August 2013.
- SE Dornan & RG Henderson (1979). Electric Railways of Victoria. Australian Electric Traction Society. p. 80. ISBN 0-909459-06-1.
- "Works". Newsrail. Australian Railway Historical Society. June 1986. p. 188.
- "Lilydale Line". Public Transport Victoria.
- "Belgrave Line". Public Transport Victoria.
- Melway map at street-directory.com.au
- Marc Fiddian (1988). Commuters, Shoppers an Scholars : A History of the Melbourne-Lilyale Railway. p76 ISBN 0-9596316-7-4